Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kala Tikka!

Dear V,

When you were born, I told your Ammamma to do away with all the superstitions and the the new generation does not need to get introduced to this archaic stuff that makes little sense. Then, you transformed into this colicky baby who refused to be soothed and who would just wail. The house help said - Didi, nazar utaaro, usko nazar laga hai. Roz ek kala tikka lagana. I was at this stage where I could do anything to calm you down. I said yes, and lo, some salt was held in a palm and rotated around you.

The cheeky lil boy you are, you began to giggle as soon as the house help was doing it. You were probably amused by the gestures. Did it work? who knows? Do I believe in it? I am not sure. But, anything to calm you down. These days, karma comes to bite you back instantly.

Love,
Amma.

No comments:

Post a Comment