Yes, It is in the air and I have a bad cold. I have been trying to recover for a while but it is taking time. I am so sure that all of us who have had a terrible bout of cold will agree that it is the most annoying and irritating thing ever. The last thing I want on top of it are snide remarks. Please do not do the following when I have a cold.
1. I have a cold, I am trying to stay away from people so that I don't pass on the virus. I am in office because I have recovered quite a lot. I am just quietly sitting in my cubicle - trying to wind up the work and trying really hard not to make my presence very conspicuous. You don't have to lunge and come all the way from your cubicle which is very far just to make a comment about how puffed my face looks and how I look pathetic. People, where is all the courtesy gone? Has no one taught you on how to talk to someone who is not well.
2. Please refrain from commenting about how small my eyes have become. Yes, my eyes enter deep into the socket when I am not well. I know that - some 100 people have told me that and I have seen that in the mirror. From now on, any comments on my appearance will not be accepted when I have a cold.
3. Do not start listing out a huge list of meaningful do's and dont's for me. I appreciate the thought and do take suggestions - but only meaningful ones. Don't tell me that I should stay away from Ice creams and cold water - that is something I do on regular days too. Also, I know that I should use Vicks (I mean primary school kids know that). If you have a quick and instant home remedy - then you can come to me.
4. The reason I am at office/outside is because of something unavoidable . I am not the one who comes to work or loiters around for no reason because I am paranoid about not spreading the infection. Don't give me random advise about taking an off or working from home. I know it I am mature enough to know that already.
5. Everyone gets a cold once in a while and that too for no reason. I do not need that trying-to-be-sympathetic-yet-happy-at-my-suffering look. I can see through it. So, when you come to be with the elongated "Ohhhhhhh - What happened? You are ill - You poor thing" statements, I can totally see what you mean.
6. Cold brings along tons of irritation and crankiness. Once you see that I have a cold, please do not state the obvious. Do not ask me if I have a cold. You will probably hear "No, I just like sniffing around", 'No, I am practicing a particular yogasana which involves retaining water in the nose and letting it out occasionally', "No, I am anti-paper conservation and I have taken it upon myself to use all the tissue paper available".
Ahh! Now let me search on ways to get rid of the cold quickly .
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Do Opposites Attract? Yes, I think so!
How else would you explain two almost totally opposite kind of indivuduals (Read S and me) getting hitched and staying together for 2.5 years!
1. S loves Discovery, Animal planet, History and the boring stuff - I am a total sucker for any reality, drama on TV!
2. One of the easiest tasks in this world is to make me cry. A drop of a hat or pin is enough of a tear jerker of me. The only 2 times when I saw tears in S' eyes was - 1. Tears after laughing his heart out during the numerous re-runs of friends, 2.While watching Beautiful Mind (one of his fav movies).
3. I am a total drama queen - S is the quiet wait and watch types.
4. I over-react and make a hue and cry even if I spot an ant walking across the room. S again waits and watches
5. I love surprises and S hates them. He is brutal enough to tell me right on my face if he doesn't like the gifts that I picked up so lovingly.
6. I love roaming around and traveling, S is the sit-at-home types.
7. I can chatter non-stop with him about anything - even the aforesaid ant walking across! S needs his own space every once in a while.
8. S knows, understands, realizes and works towards his passion! Right now I am clueless and trying to figure out mine.
9. S is the king of planning (every travel has a list ready) - I am a last minute dump-stuff-in-the-bag type of person.
10. I yell, shout, cry and argue when I am angry - S turns on the silent mode (does not utter a word)!
11. I am over-the-top experssive kind - Hugs, Kisses and clinginess are totally my thing! S is subtle and cryptic.
Seriously, I can go on and on. Needless to say, one comment that we make often is - You did not tell this to me before the wedding! As if that would have changed anything!
As of now, we are still sane and have not lost it yet. Yes, even now my eyes twinkle when I see him!
P.S - I would love to do the reverse of this post - come up with 10 things that we have in common. That would be my anniversary edition.
Saturday, August 14, 2010
Don't take me wrong by the title. I am not the overtly patriotic type. I am the kinds who needs reminders like Independence Day and Republic Day to arise the bits and pieces of patriotism inside me. Nonetheless, I hope for a better future for all of us here!
Until later, I leave you with a particular favorite poem of mine -
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake. Rabindranath Tagore
IHM's Blog is one of my favorite blogs and it was shocking to read the update that she lost her daughter to dengue fever. Needless to day, it is a big loss and may her soul Rest in Peace.
Moments like these also make you realize as to how short and unpredictable life is - and why its important to live life to the fullest everyday. As Tennyson once said, drink Life to the lees!
Moments like these also make me realize of how silly and foolish I have been with my share of crankiness and irritability.
IHM - You are the most inspiring person I have come across in the blogosphere - This post of yours shows the amazing strength that you have.