Saturday, June 20, 2009

Jargon-ed!

I have noticed that, increasingly, the language that I use in my day to day talk is getting spattered and influenced by work related jargon. How else can I describe the fact that when my neighbor asked me when I was going to Kerala next, I replied "sometime in the middle of Q3?". (Third quarter of they year - July, August and September).

Another example is "OOO" which stands for 'Out of Office' typically used when someone is not in office for the day. So much so that one day I told my friend that "my maid is OOO this week". Also, when I want to tell some one that I would do it sometime before evening, it typically comes out as - It will be done by EOD (End of Day).

I was not even aware of these acronymns or jargons around 2.5 years back and now it has become so common that I have been unconciously using them even when I am not at work.

On a different note, while chatting with Dad, he asks me - "What does a ping mean"?. My status message that day was "Busy - slow response to pings". Its funny as to how I use the word around 30 times a day but this word did not even exist in the same meaning some years back.

There would be only few things as dynamic as language isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Yes ardra!!! I am sure you must have guessed it by the post right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, all your jargon seemed so familiar to me. he he. :)

    ReplyDelete