Friday, June 5, 2009

How is married life?

I have been married for over a year and a half now and if I were to look back at one questions that I have been asked over and over again - it would be "How is married life?".

If I had charged 10 Rupees for each time everyone asked this questions, all the credit card & phone bills would have been taken care of. I am pretty sure that I would have to endure this question as long as I don't provide the next anticipated 'Good news'!

I hope its clear enough that I am really not too excited to answer this question - I am not sure what loaded meaning it is attached it it. I particularly do not mind if the the only question is limited to that - what gets on to my nerves is the fact that this question being followed up by a series of questions based on my reaction.

If you say it is great - then the question is like - Oh so you are staying away from your in-laws?. The idea is that your married life cant be good if you are with your in laws????? Well, for sure I know some colleagues from work who stay with their in-laws and have such a strong support system at home.

If you say it is going on okay - then the question would be - oh What happened? . Being okay means that I am fine - and that there is nothing wrong - which means everything is
right.

If you say that - well I am adjusting, then the next question would be - Oh, it must be sea of change for you! How are you balancing marriage and work?

Well, then what would you ask the many super women whom I know at work - who have two kids, a husband and a home to take care of, yet come to work and give their 100% there also.

Well - may be it is just a courtesy question or an ice breaker. Whatever it is, I have still not come up with an answer that can actually satisfy the curiosity of the listener without prompting them to ask another question or leave them stumped enough not to ask another question! Looking back, it seems like the most obvious question that you would like someone who is newly married ( read - married some time back -say for around 2-3 years and does not have a lil one as yet)
May be I am a over reacting a tad bit but I am not sure why it always leaves me irritable.

No comments:

Post a Comment