Friday, June 12, 2009

The 'Aunty' Phenomenon

It was one days when I was returning after the work. This was way back in 2007 and around the time when I was newly married. I got out of the cab and was heading towards the B-block of the apartment complex where we stay on the 5th floor. A couple of lil kids were playing in the play area and yours truly, being really fond of kids waved at them and went to ask them what all games they play generally. After the friendly chit chat for two minutes, I say bye and see you. What I heard next in a loud chorus 'Bye Aunty'... The first reaction was -- hmm, oh they must be saying bye to someone else, but when I turned back they were indeed waving at me.

Well - it was a tad bit of shock for me to realize that the switch from 'didi' to 'aunty' has happened. I was just amazed that how what you are addressed by/introduced to kids in a gathering like a party with friends or among neighbours correlates with your marital status. Very soon, I also noticed that a lot of my neighbors telling their kids - 'Beta, aunty to hello bolo' (Say Hello to aunty).

Thinking of it, I do not have any grudge against the word, cause too I address a lot of people as 'aunty'. However, the word has now a connotation associated with it as it immediately conjures some one who is lil on the healthier side or has a strand or 2 of grey hair, typically wears a saree or a salwar kameez. May be it was the Godrej hairdye ad which echos 'aunty , aunty, aunty...'. What I fail to understand is how quickly the switch happens based on the marital status.

May be I was shocked because no one ever had called me aunty before. My 7 month old niece cant speak as yet and even when she grows up she would call me 'mema' which is the mallu equivalent of 'maasi/bua'. May be I was surprised because, like some their middle twenties inching towards late twenties, I too want to down play my age! May be, because I could not associate myself with the gang of moms who sit near the play area watching the kids play. However, over the period of a year and a half, I have now come to terms with it - and I am no longer shocked/surprised.

After all this, it came as a pleasant surprise to me when the 12 year old daughter of my new neighbor knocked on the door one day as she was scared to be alone at home and called me 'didi'. I realized soon that she called me didi because she asked me who I live with and where my parents are. As I don't wear any visible symbols of marriage, she assumed that I am not married and 'didi' would do. When I told her I am married and I live with my hubby, she was confused as to what to call me.

Until later, Aunty it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment